The Darkness The Darkness

Hey! Some critiques that are based entirely off my opinion!

There is a lot of reading in the first bit of the game, a little bit too much, especially since besides for the game graphic (which does look nice), nothing visual has hooked my attention yet. Being thrown directly into the pan up text of the story feels a little too dull. Plus, the font for the text DOES seem to fit the tone, but it is difficult to read, and moves very slowly.

Same goes for the instructions page. Right back to reading. It seems like you're going for a platform, so all the text feels a little out of place. Obviously you need to read to understand the premise and game mechanics, but you could try making that more interactive/unique, to hook my attention and teach me via the environment.

Also, I can't play. I am stuck on the first platform screen with the green block and the grass etc, but no matter what key I hit no character appears//nothing happens. I've restarted my browser and refreshed a few times, but I keep running into this problem. Basically all I'm getting is the opening text, then a blank screen..

On the positive, the premise is very cool, and the sound design seems fantastic from what I've heard so far.

Because of all of that, I'm not giving a star rating for this review, I won't rate the submission either, because if other people aren't having this same no control of movement issue then they'll be able to more accurately give critique on the game play.

Can't wait to see more, hopefully any first road bumps don't set you back too much - and hopefully my criticism helps!!

Highwayman Highwayman

Nothing makes for a more fun game than CLICKING. Except maybe CLICKING MORE QUICKLY. THIS GAME HAS BOTH THOSE THINGS. WOO.

Runeblade Runeblade

The game mechanics felt smooth, and the music was cool (except the part where it stops for a few seconds before relooping, though it only happened once or twice throughout my "play through") My suggestions would be to try to improve the art style and some of the coloring, as they seemed a bit "immature" for this sort of game. No offense of course, I'd just personally be more found of it if everything looked prettier (granted, the platforms are just tiles, but maybe thicker character/enemy designs and more detailed "tiles"?) - it'd help everything feel smoother too. Also, sound effects when making contact with an enemy would really help improve game feel; when you hit or get hit by something it doesn't really feel like anything is happening.
You're right - it was very Zelda-esque! A bit short, but you did preface that in the description so it's alright. I look forward to seeing the more structured sequel!

theinsanebox responds:

It was a test game. It will have a sequel, with 3 new items, puzzles that involve switches, and actual bosses that require you to use the Items you have to complete them.

Where? Where?

Interesting game. I respect your approach to incorporate simplicity, but this is a bit too simple. Perhaps if you spend more time cleaning up the lettering and the "art" of the box, along with adding some more dynamic elements and level design, it could prove to be a really cool game! But for now there's not really enough of anything to make it worthwhile. Nicely done for 30 minutes though!

Snake: A slightly differe Snake: A slightly differe

Be original. Create something new. Credit is given where credit is due, and mindlessly copying is not something that deserves credit. Sorry, bruh.

Asslevania: SOTB Asslevania: SOTB

Absolutely enthralling! Really embodies the "FUCKING GODDAMMIT THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE" nature of the original Castlevania games. The hit box seems to be a bit screwy every now and then, but it wasn't too difficult to get used to.

rabbit love wolf rabbit love wolf

This is clearly just a copy of I Saw Her Standing There, even the layout/text in each level is the same - the only difference is this version is far more sloppy